A Delicious Recipe for the Summer…
I love summer recipes like this leek and cheese tart. This time of year is my favourite time for food. Everything is fresh and light. It’s perfect. I also love these tart recipes, they are so quick and easy to do, serve many people and still have plenty of leftovers.
This leek and cheese tart is a twist on a couple of recipes I have in my bag. Leeks are in season and I had so many leftovers I needed a way to use them up. Combined that with some fresh cheese I picked up at the farmers market and you’ve got this recipe.
As leeks are in season, they are the perfect fresh ingredient for this recipe. But if leeks are not your jam, I’d recommend some like spring greens, asparagus or something similar. Like-wise with the cheese. If you can’t get a hold of the cheese, anything creamy with a sharp tang will work perfectly.
Leek & Cheese Tart.
With this recipe, I would serve this with a fresh salad. Something with rocket, grated apple and a vinegar dressing. I’ve been loving Pinterest right now for salad recipes.
Leek and Parmigiano Reggiano Tart
- 5 medium leeks, trimmed
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 500 g shortcrust pastry
- 300g double cream
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 g Parmigiano Reggiano DOP, grated
- Slice and rinse the leeks. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the leeks, salt and thyme leaves. Stir together, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft but not brown. Add the wine and bubble, without a lid, for 5-10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin and large enough to line a 23cm, loose-bottomed round tart tin. Ease into the tin, making sure to press it into the tin and up the edges, then trim so it overhangs the top by a finger’s width. Prick the base all over with a fork, line with a circle of baking parchment and chill for 30 minutes. Put a flat baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 180C.
- Fill the parchment with ceramic baking beans or uncooked dried beans or rice. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sides are lightly golden. Remove the parchment and beans, then bake for 10-15 minutes more until the pale golden base. Remove from the oven and trim off the overhanging edge with a sharp serrated knife; brush out any crumbs from the inside of the case.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream, egg, yolks and cheese. Stir in the leek mixture and season if needed. Pour into the tart case and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until just set in the middle and tinged with gold. Cool for 20 minutes before carefully removing the tart ring. Serve warm or at room temperature.